Battery Lewis was built in 1942 to compliment an identical
battery built at New Yorks Fort Tilden. Battery Lewis house
two 16 inch naval guns. Capable of firing 16 inch projectiles.
Never fired in an attack, Battery Lewis only lets it two gun fire
once. After many days of public warning and multiple
anouncements the guns were fired as a test. Many houses in
the surrounding area had windows shattered and reports state
that the firing of the guns could be heard in nearby Staten
Island, New York. After the firing the guns would remain
silent for seven more years until Battery Lewis was declared
surplus and following that the removing of the guns. Sitting on
the highest point on the East Coast from Southern Maine to the
tip of Florida the Atlantic Highlands was a valuable position to
defend the New York harbor during WW2.